Of Counsel - A Bulletin on Legal Issues at CUA - November 1997
Of Counsel contains information about legal requirements applicable to institutions of higher education and pertinent to the administration of The Catholic University of America. Of Counsel is produced by the CUA Office of General Counsel and is distributed to CUA vice presidents, deans, department chairs, directors and other managers.
- Introduction to FERPA
- Questions and Answers About FERPA
- A Simple Idea Becomes a Regulatory Quagmire: Congress Amends FERPA
- What Is a Record Custodian?
- So, what things are education records?
- Real Life Stories from the Files of the General Counsel:
"The Case of the Fake Federal Agent"
- Tips on Managing Student Records
- Reference Chart: Release of Student Education Records
© Office of General Counsel, The Catholic University of America. The Office of General Counsel has prepared this bulletin exclusively to keep the university informed of specific developments in the law related to institutes of higher education. We are especially grateful to Ingrid Brault and Ellen Campbell at the Family Policy Compliance Office at the U.S. Department of Education for their generous assistance in preparing this bulletin. The articles contained in the bulletin are intended to provide general information about the matters discussed. They are not legal advice or legal opinions on any specific matters. Please direct any questions to the Office of General Counsel at ext. 5142.
links updated 6/26/08 rab